Barnsley Family History Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reply to Edwin Bowden regarding William Cooper

Go down

Reply to Edwin Bowden regarding William Cooper Empty Reply to Edwin Bowden regarding William Cooper

Post  bfhs2011 Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:32 am

Dear Mr Bowden, I am the sister of Richie Cooper who placed the original post. I started to research the family within the last couple of weeks. I believe that Lavinia Bowden may be the sister of Willie Cooper, our grandfather (not William). I have a copy of the 1911 census; Willie was the son of Sidney and Maria Cooper, they lived at 115 Cherry Tree Street, Elsecar. The record shows that they had 8 children living at the time, although only 7 were residing at the address at the time of the census;these were - John Joseph, Laura, Willie, Maud, Harold, Evelyn and Ruby May. I believe this is because Lavinia had already married. The 1911 census shows a Lavinia Bowden residing at 18 Elizabeth Street, Hoyland; the head of the household being Edwin Thomas Bowden. It shows 2 children - Edwin Vincent and Lilian. I need to confirm that Lavinia is indeed Sidney and Maria's daughter - the record shows that she was born in 1890 and that she had been married for 3 years at the time of the 1911 census. Can you fill in any more details at the moment?

Our father William is still alive - he will be 80 in October of this year. He remembers visiting his grandmother (Sidney's wife) in Cherry Tree Street as a small boy when his mother (Hilda Mason) took him back to see the family. We understand that Willie died at the young age of 37 due to an industrial disease related to his work in the shoe industry. Hilda brought William back to Warwickshire to be with her family. Our father's birth certificate shows Willie's occupation as Boot Repairer Manager - Newcombes Boot and Shoes.

Our father recalls the following details:
John Joseph married someone called Elsie, they lived in Hoyland and had 6 girls!
Laura Cooper had a daughter.
Maud lived in Cherry tree street and had 2 sons; there was about 20 years difference in age between the boys. The elder son (Sid) was heavily involved in the Methodist Chapel in King Street (we believe he lived in King Street). Dad thinks Sid was about 7 years older than him.
Evelyn married, but he doesn't think she had children - she moved away to London at one stage - don't know if she returned to the area.

If anyone else can help with information relating to other members of the Cooper household listed above I would be very grateful. Does anyone know where Newcombes Boot and Shoes was situated?

Thank you
Rosemary Williams

bfhs2011

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down