Barnsley Family History Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ANNOUNCEMENT: Is the forum worthwhile or a waste of time?

+2
carolanne
Joan Smith
6 posters

Go down

ANNOUNCEMENT: Is the forum worthwhile or a waste of time? Empty Please keep the forum open...

Post  roots58 Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:45 am

and hopefully it will become more widely used.

Not sure what has been done re advertising the forum, but perhaps a mention in other family history society journals - or has this already been done? Notices in various libraries etc, the more publicised it is then the more chance of it being used. Will past on to my fellow researches who have interests in the Barnsley area.

It would be a shame to disgard this site as there is potential for its use, particularly for those who now live abroad and are unable to visit for research on a regular basis. Or those who like myself, who have family that where born in Barnsley but do not have a lot of local knowledge on the area.

May I suggest that if some of the BFHS members feel a little daunted by using the site, perhaps a course on demonstrating how to use this resource could be offered on one of the monthly meetings where there is no guest speaker. Is this site only available to members of the BFHS, if so perhaps making it openly available might inprove input?

Last edited by roots58 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo errors)

roots58

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Back to top Go down

ANNOUNCEMENT: Is the forum worthwhile or a waste of time? Empty Waste of Time

Post  john_travis Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:01 pm

I take Brian's point that it is now a waste of time. The old forum was very useful but this patently isn't and why has no one answered Brian's question regarding topics from the old board? Surely common courtesy would say that his query should be answered, for all to see, by administration.

John Travis

john_travis

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

ANNOUNCEMENT: Is the forum worthwhile or a waste of time? Empty Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Is the forum worthwhile or a waste of time?

Post  Guest Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:56 pm

Quite obviously it is a waste of time............

Back to top Go down

ANNOUNCEMENT: Is the forum worthwhile or a waste of time? Empty Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Is the forum worthwhile or a waste of time?

Post  Guest Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:07 pm

Following the death of my last remaining blood elder I want to update one of my threads, so I have just re-registered only to find that all the old threads have gone. This is a bit alarming - are they archived somewhere and can you access previous messages that you have sent or received, or are they gone forever? Maybe I missed something by not being a regular user, but if this is the case was there not some warning that this would happen? Mad
Regards
Brian

Back to top Go down

ANNOUNCEMENT: Is the forum worthwhile or a waste of time? Empty The site is worth it/Wood family

Post  mkm Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:22 am

Thank you Tom for setting up the site. I wasn't sure which username/password to use but an email to Tom sorted this out. I then re-registered. I didn't get the email to confirm this had happened but found that I could log in.

Wood Family - I am interested in the family of Jonas Wood who married Elizabeth Turton in 1853 at Darton. They had around 18 children and lived in Mapplewell, Gawber, Barnsley and Wombwell. Elizabeth died in 1929 aged 94. Does anyone have information on her descendants?

mkm

mkm

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-06-05

Back to top Go down

ANNOUNCEMENT: Is the forum worthwhile or a waste of time? Empty Is This Site Worth It ?

Post  gilly Fri May 23, 2008 4:37 pm

The answer to the above question is YES
I would like to THANK Tom & anyone else who helped for spending time to give us a the new BFHS website & forum

I gained so much info from the old site & also helped others with their research & hope this one turns out as good ( I know it will )

I too looked nearly every day at the old forum without noticing rubbish but we don't always see what the webmaster see's
People dont realise how much time, hard word, research sweat & tears goes into Keeping a good site

Keep up the Good work Tom & Thanks again for your hard work

gilly

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-05-07

Back to top Go down

ANNOUNCEMENT: Is the forum worthwhile or a waste of time? Empty New Forum

Post  john_travis Fri May 23, 2008 10:38 am

Tom,
I looked regularly at the old forum without noticing any great amount of rubbish. I registered for the new one on Wednesday and found that today I could log on although I had not received the second e-mail to say that I could. Are these messages being sent and are they being received? If not this may be the reason that there is little activity.

John

john_travis

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

ANNOUNCEMENT: Is the forum worthwhile or a waste of time? Empty Re- Toms posting

Post  carolanne Mon May 19, 2008 2:40 am

I have always though this forum was a good idea.I looked at it everyday and still do I've not asked for much help but I'm always willing to help others. If I'm to be truthful though Tom it did take me quite awhile to work out how to get back in.
Regards Carolanne

carolanne

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-05-07

Back to top Go down

ANNOUNCEMENT: Is the forum worthwhile or a waste of time? Empty ANNOUNCEMENT: Is the forum worthwhile or a waste of time?

Post  Joan Smith Sun May 18, 2008 4:09 am

It is over a month since the Forum site was set up. It is not my site, but it belongs to the members. As I constantly tell new members when activating their registration, 'the Forum is BY the members FOR the members'.

Up to the present time, no one has bothered to open a topic for discussion! I have spent a great deal of time setting up the Forum, and also on the update of our website generally.

So, will you let me know if you think the Forum IS worthwhile, or should it be withdrawn? It is your decision, and I will abide by your wishes.

Best Wishes,
Tom

Joan Smith

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-04-15

https://barnsleyfhs.aforumfree.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down